Frequently asked questions

Below are the answers to some frequently asked questions about the services we provide, funding for our services, complaints, and job applications. If you can’t find the answers to your questions, please contact us.

How do I get government funding for your service?

Access to government funded services for older people, people with disabilities and people with a mental illness are managed through Needs Assessment and Service Coordination Services (NASCs). NASCs are referral agencies that will determine what government funded services you are eligible for and will refer you to an organisation that can meet your needs. There are different NASCs covering different regions of the country.

Find the right NASC for your needs here.


Injury-related support and nursing

If you have had an accident and need home support or nursing you will need to be assessed by ACC. The first thing you need to do is see a doctor, nurse or healthcare professional, or go to an accident and emergency clinic.

Find out more about making a claim.

HealthCare New Zealand also supports privately paying clients. Contact us to find out more.


Mental health support

Our mental health services are provided free of charge by Community Mental Health Services and we also support privately paying clients. Contact Mental Health NZ to find out more.

I need support but don’t know what service I need – who do I contact?

If you are over 65 years old and are looking for help at home, please contact us on 0800 333 676.

If you have an accident and need home support or nursing services after your injury, call us on 0800 621 222.

If you have a mental illness and need support please contact Mental Health NZ.

Our disability support services are provided by NZCare Disability with HealthCare New Zealand’s Community Health service providing support for people in their home.

If you are still not sure what service you need please contact the HealthCare NZ Wellington office on 0800 227 348 during office hours.

I don't qualify for government funding - can you still help me?

If you don’t qualify for government funding we may still be able to help!

Our Community Health, Rehabilitation and Mental Health services all support privately paying clients. Contact us to find out more.

I'm making some enquiries for a family member or friend - where do I start?

If you are not sure what support they might need or they need to be assessed for government funding, the best place to start is their family doctor. For in-home and disability support you could also contact your local Needs Assessment and Service Coordination Centre.

If you think you know what support they might need, please contact the relevant service to find out more.

I live in a rural area and don't see a branch near me - can you still support me?

Depending on what type of support you require we may still be able to help. Please contact the main office of the service you require to find out more.

I'd like to make a complaint about your services - who do I contact?

If you would like to discuss any concerns about the support you or someone you know is receiving, we encourage you to contact your Coordinator, Service Manager or your local branch in the first instance. Your complaint will be passed onto your service manager or branch manager who will contact you to see if the matter can be immediately resolved.

If you would like to make a formal complaint you can do this in writing and address it to:

The Quality Team
HealthCare NZ
PO Box 24445
Wellington 6142

They will reply within five working days from receiving your letter.

You can also contact us on 0800 227 348 and ask to speak to someone in the Quality Team.

I would like to work for HealthCare NZ but there are no roles that suit me right now - who can I contact?

We are always interested in hearing from people who would like to work for us! You can register to be kept up to date with suitable vacancies.

I have applied for a role at HealthCare NZ but haven't heard back - who should I contact?

Please check the job advertisement you have responded to for the best contact details. If you don’t have access to the original advertisement, please check our current vacancies, or phone us on 0800 102 147 and select the recruitment option.